Is it possible to become a member of the EBVS?

It is not possible for an individual to become a member of EBVS.
The EBVS membership is made up of recognised Specialist Colleges and each college has a representative on the Board.

back to top

How does a college receive recognistion from the EBVS?

A potential college must fulfil EBVS application criteria, this includes ensuring that improved veterinary services will be provided to the public, fulfilling a clearly demonstrable need within the procession and having a sufficient body of potential diplomates to form a college.
In order to receive recognition from the EBVS, a potential college must write a letter of intent to form a specialist college to the EBVS. After this has been received, two EBVS liaison officers are appointed and the potential college must pay an administration fee. The potential college must then formulate bylaws and a training brochure with the help of the liaison officers. Finally, these documents are distributed to the EBVS Board members and if they fulfil all EBVS criteria, the college receives a vote of acceptance from the Board and is provisionally accepted. For more information, please see the EBVS Policies and Procedures.

What is the difference between a provisionally recognised college and a definitively recognised college?

Provisional recognision is given to all new colleges and it means that the college bylaws, information brochure and training brochure are of an acceptable standard and that the college can begin to function. The college has between 5 and 10 years to apply for definitive recognition.

In order to gain definitive recognition, all aspects of specialist training, examinations and college administration need to be successfully functioning and all EBVS criteria complied with. Once definitive recognition has been gained, colleges are re-evaluated every 5 years by the Board. For more information, please see the EBVS Policies and Procedures.

back to top

How do I become a member of a specialist college?

Each college sets up its own requirements for membership and these are approved by the EBVS. In general, applicants must be licensed to practice in a European country and have demonstrated satisfactory moral and ethical standing in the profession. Applicants must undergo comprehensive examinations administered by the College to which he or she has applied and obtain acceptable scores.
If you want to become a diplomate of one of the EBVS recognised colleges, please contact the college directly.

back to top

Can I become a member of 2 colleges?

It is possible to become a diplomate of 2 different colleges provided that you fulful the requirements of both colleges for the title of diplomate and provided that the college bylaws do not prohibit membership of another specialist college. However, it is only possible to be a European Specialist in 1 discipline.

back to top

What is the difference between a 'diplomate' and a 'specialist'?

A diplomate is someone who has successfully passed the examination of an EBVS-recognised College or who helped found the college. A diplomate is classed as either 'founding', 'active' (working in the discipline) or 'non-active' (not working in the discipline). All diplomates are re-evaluated every five years by their college.
A Specialist is someone who is either an active or founding diplomate of an EBVS-recognised college and who is practicing that speciality for more than 50% of their time.

Is the title 'diplomate' officially recognised?

At present, the diplomate title is recognised in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK (for 7 colleges).(2001)

back to top

How Do I use the Fourms?

We have created a guide that you can follow, you can download it here. (you must be logged in)

back to top

Wednesday the 1st.
Design by VPS Hosting by Irish Domains.